FCTA withdraw Abuja park licences, orders document resubmission for fresh screening

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has withdrawn park licences in Abuja, asking operators to resubmit documents for fresh screening and possible reallocation, following major policy violations.
Director of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima, disclosed this during an interview with journalists while explaining the recent demolition of Boulevard Park located in Maitama, Abuja.
He said the FCT Minister acted on a memo from the Directors of Parks and Recreation and Lands, highlighting serious violations and inadequacies in the management of parks across the territory.
Mr Galadima noted that the directive allowed park operators to resubmit their documents to the Parks and Recreation Department for a fresh review, after which qualified parks might be reallocated.
“If they meet the terms and conditions, they’ll be reallocated. Operators must respond and submit their documents, and if approved, they can regain access to their parks,” Mr Galadima explained.
He emphasised that the move is not a witch-hunt but a necessary step to restore order, legality, and compliance with urban policies guiding park operations in the Federal Capital Territory.
He said, “There’s nothing like witch-hunting. All park allocations were withdrawn over consistent violations. The minister holds authority to regulate land use in the FCT, including public parks.’’
Regarding Boulevard Park’s demolition, Mr Galadima clarified that the park operators were properly notified beforehand, and enforcement only followed after all legal requirements had been satisfied.
He said the park had violated its original terms of use, operating activities that directly contravened recreational policies and deviated from the approved land use allocation.
He stated, “Boulevard Park was approved for recreation, but its operations violated every part of the policy. What’s happening there is a complete departure from the park’s intended use.’’
Mr Galadima added that the Department of Parks and Recreation was mainly responsible for monitoring park activities and ensuring that parks operated within approved regulatory guidelines.
He stated that parks were expected to submit conceptual designs for approval before opening, but failure in monitoring had led to widespread abuse and policy breaches.
“The FCT is governed by law, and lawlessness won’t be tolerated. Every park operator must comply with all terms and conditions attached to their allocation,” Mr Galadima stated firmly.
He assured the public that a ministerial committee had been established to review park allocations and ensured that their usage aligned strictly with the original recreational purposes.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency
Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.

States
Edo assembly elects Yekini Idiaye as speaker
Mr Idiaye, who represents Akoko Edo Constituency I, was elected the new speaker following Blessing Agbebaku’s resignation on Monday.

States
Regional development minister lauds NEDC projects in Borno
Minister of State for Regional Development, Uba Maigari Ahmadu, commended the North East Development Commission (NEDC) for ongoing projects in the region.

Economy
Nigeria’s headline inflation falls to 15.43%
The NBS said headline inflation fell to 15.43% in July from 15.91% in June.

Lagos
FG adds 208 MW transmission capacity to boost industries in Lagos
Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, said it would strengthen electricity supply to some of Lagos’ most economically important corridors.

States
Voter apathy mars Bauchi LG poll
At some polling centres in the Dawaki, Tirwun, Kofar, Ran and Yelwa areas of Bauchi, there were no voters or election officials, despite the deployment of security personnel.






