FG begins emergency repair of failed section of Apongbon Bridge

The federal government has begun emergency repair works on a failed section of the Apongbon Bridge in Lagos, with a completion timeline of eight weeks.
The federal controller of works in Lagos State, Olufemi Dare, disclosed this while briefing journalists at the project site on Wednesday.
Mr Dare said the repair formed part of the extension of the Third Mainland Bridge project, describing it as “extension number two and phase three” of the ongoing works.
He noted that the failed portion of the bridge was the transition slab at the beginning of the bridge.
“The transition slab at the beginning of the bridge has collapsed.
“Motorists may not easily notice it, but inspection has shown that the section has failed and must be repaired immediately,” he said.
According to him, the minister of works, David Umahi, had inspected the bridge and directed that the failed section should be fixed without delay.
Mr Dare said that work was ongoing on the site in compliance with the minister’s directive.
He clarified that the section being worked on was the 6.5m-wide service lane beside the main bridge.
He said the plan was to rehabilitate both service lanes and divert traffic to them before demolishing and reconstructing the failed transition slab on the main bridge.
Mr Dare said: “We want to avoid another Independence Bridge incident; so, we must first fix the service lanes, divert traffic to them, and then carry out proper demolition and reconstruction of the failed section.”
The controller said the failed asphalt had been removed and the topsoil being excavated in preparation for reconstruction.
He said that the rehabilitation would involve laying a 200mm stone base followed by a 200mm Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP).
According to him, the CRCP will be reinforced with 20mm main bars at 200mm spacing and 16mm distribution bars at 1.1m spacing to ensure durability.
“It will be rigid pavement made of concrete, not asphalt, to ensure strength and long-term performance,” he said.
The controller mentioned the contractor handling the project as China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation.
He expressed satisfaction with the pace of work, noting that the contractor had deployed adequate equipment and manpower to meet the deadline.
Mr Dare also commended Lagos State government and officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority for assisting with traffic diversion around the project area.
He assured motorists that the entire repair would be completed within eight weeks.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.






