Gov. Okpebholo suspends security chief, vigilante groups over killing of hunters in Edo

Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo has suspended the activities of all vigilante groups following the lynching of travellers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area.
In a statement by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Umar Ikhilor, the governor also suspended the commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP Friday Ibadin (Rtd.).
Mr Ikhilor disclosed that the vigilante group responsible for the tragic killings on March 27 operated illegally, as it was neither registered nor profiled under the Edo State Security Corps.
“Their actions do not reflect the core values, principles, and objectives of the Okpebholo administration or the Edo State Security Corps Governance Law.
“Following a review of the preliminary report on the incident, the government has ordered the immediate suspension of all unauthorised vigilante groups operating in the state.
“And the suspension of CP Friday Ibadin (Rtd.), the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps,” he stated.
He said there were ongoing investigations into the killings, with 14 arrests made so far and an intensive manhunt underway for others involved, led by a special team assigned by the Inspector General of Police.
“The Edo government reaffirmed its commitment to upholding the constitutional rights of all citizens to move freely and conduct lawful business anywhere in the country,” the SSG said.
Mr Ikhilor also disclosed that the government was in contact with the victims’ families, community leaders, and the Kano State government, as most of the deceased were reported to be from Kano.
He urged all stakeholders to remain calm, assuring them that the state government was committed to ensuring justice was served swiftly, transparently, and effectively.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Nigeria spent $9 billion on Liberia, Sierra Leone’s civil wars: Army General
Nigeria spent no less than $9 billion to liberate Liberia and Sierra Leone during their civil wars, its defence adviser disclosed.

Health
Oncology pharmacists urge safer chemotherapy practices in Nigeria
The association made the call on Monday in Abuja during a one-day training for oncology pharmacists ahead of its maiden 2026 biennial scientific conference.

World
UN must respond to rising global tensions, says FG
Mr Ibrahim said President Bola Tinubu remained committed to strengthening Nigeria’s military capacity through funding, improved welfare and deeper international partnerships.

States
FG donates foodstuffs to victims of bandits’ attacks in Plateau
Bandits on May 8 attacked the Ngbrazongo community, killing some people and injuring many others.

Politics
Obi strategising with me; Northerners won’t collect rice in 2027 elections: Kwankwaso
“Our governors have made so much mistakes. I can tell you that all the governors are relying on Bola Ahmed Tinubu to win the elections,” Mr Kwankwaso stated.

Economy
NEM Insurance’s profit dips
Profit before tax fell to N27.98 billion from N33.7 billion in 2024, while profit after tax also declined to N23.9 billion from N29.24 billion in the previous year.






