Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Group cancels hunger protest over alleged plot by louts to cause chaos in Ondo

Mr Ogundipe claimed that the group was neither induced financially nor intimidated by its decision.

• August 1, 2024
Ondo state logo
Ondo state logo [Photo: Ondo State Government]

Some youths in Ondo State have alleged plans by miscreants to hijack the hunger protest slated for today and cause mayhem in the state. 

The youths, under the aegis of the “Concerned Revolutionary Youths”, alleged that the miscreants had also marked strategic places and business locations in the state to set them ablaze. 

Speaking on Wednesday in Akure, the group’s Secretary, Seyi Ogundipe, said they decided to withdraw from the protest due to an intelligence report that armed thugs intended to infiltrate the demonstration to cause havoc. 

Mr Ogundipe, flanked by other members of the group, said they had mobilised youths for the protest against economic hardship in the country, adding that the protesters had been told to withdraw.

He noted that the plans of the thugs, whom he claimed were recruited by some elements in government, were to disguise themselves as protesters and foment trouble.

Mr Ogundipe said, “With less than few hours to the protest, we the main organisers in the state, under the banner of ‘Concerned Revolutionary Youths’ announced that we are no longer going to protests in Ondo following a report that some persons want to hide under our protest to burn down places in the state. We are aware that these people who are hoodlums and recruited have already marked several locations particularly some shops and offices to set on fire. It is on this note that we withdraw and announce that we won’t join the protest again.’’ 

He noted that the people have the right to express their grievances through freedom of speech and association against the government backed by the constitution, adding that the current hardship and hunger in the country was a concern to many Nigerians. 

Mr Ogundipe claimed that the group was neither induced financially nor intimidated, but resolved to pull out of the planned protest due to the security reports that some groups were preparing to hijack the protest to unleash mayhem.

According to him, the planned protest has already achieved some of its aims as President Bola Tinubu has taken some proactive measures to address some of the issues raised by the organisers.

He also noted the group had notified its counterparts across the country of its intent to pull out of the protest and continue to hold dialogue with the government on issues of concern to Nigerians.

The nationwide protest which is expected to begin today was to express frustration over the economic situation in the country further fuelled by the removal of fuel subsidy by Mr Tinubu-led administration.

Since the fuel subsidy removal, prices of commodities and goods had risen as citizens continued to groan under unfavourable economic policies introduced by the government. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab

Lagos

Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance

The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.

recover two motorcycles

States

Police arrest five suspects in Benue, recover two motorcycles

The Benue State police command arrested five suspects who specialised in stealing motorcycles and motor vehicles.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University’s Junior High School

World

One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting

The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

ICE officials

World

Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling

A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.