Tuesday, August 18, 2026

HRW tackles electoral body over attempts to bar Cameroon’s main opposition candidate from presidential poll  

Mr Sother stated that the electoral commission’s action was illegal and orchestrated to remove competition in the election.

• July 30, 2025
Paul Biya
Paul Biya [Credit; DW]

The Human Rights Watch on Wednesday condemned President Paul Biya-led government intolerance to political opposition and dissidents, ahead of Cameroon’s October 12 presidential election.

Calling for a reversal of the electoral decision against some candidates, including leading opposition candidate, Maurice Kamto, Senior Africa Researcher at HRW, Ilaria Allegrozzi, accused the Cameroonian government and the electoral commission of attempts to shrink the country’s democratic space and reduce the approaching election to mere formality.

Ms Allegrozzi said, “The election commission has raised doubt on an election before the votes are even cast. Excluding the most popular opponent from the electoral process will leave a shadow over whatever results are eventually announced.”

Previously on Saturday, the Cameroon Election Commission excluded Maurice Kamto, a top opposition figure, from participating in the forthcoming presidential election, on the ground that his party, the African Movement for New Independence and Democracy (MANIDEM), was also filing another candidate, Dieudonné Yebga.

Affirming the candidacy of Maurice Kamto, MANIDEM party’s president, Anicet Ekane, slammed the electoral commission decision, calling it arbitrary and politically motivated.

Also reacting, Mr Kamto’s legal representative, Menkem Sother, following submission of a filed petition, stated that the electoral commission’s action was illegal and orchestrated to remove competition in the election.

“ELECAM’s decision has no legal basis and only aims at eliminating a key challenger from the elections, supporting the ruling party’s long-term strategy of power confiscation,” Mr Sother said. 

The Human Rights Watch urged the country’s 92-year-old President Paul Biya, running for an eighth term, to respect citizens’ right to expression, association and peaceful assembly.

“The election commission’s decision de facto reduces the upcoming vote to a mere formality, buries what remains of Cameroon’s democracy, and triggers fears of renewed violence. The commission should reverse its decision and allow Cameroonians to decide their own future,” Ms Allegrozzi stated.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.