Hush Money Conviction: U.S. Supreme Court rejects Trump’s request to stop January 10 sentencing

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday rejected President-elect Donald Trump’s request to delay his criminal sentencing in New York, paving the way for the proceedings to take place as scheduled on Friday.
In a brief, unsigned order, a five-justice majority noted that Mr Trump was not facing a prison sentence and could still appeal his conviction through regular legal channels.
According to the New York Times, the court also dismissed Mr Trump’s argument that sentencing just ten days before his inauguration would disrupt the presidential transition, stating that the burden on his responsibilities as president-elect would be “relatively insubstantial.”
Earlier on Thursday, a judge on the New York Court of Appeals in Albany, the state’s highest court, denied a separate request from Mr Trump to halt the sentencing.
Leaving Mr Trump with no legal recourse to postpone Friday’s proceedings.
Mr Trump said the Supreme Court’s ruling had spurred him to move forward.
“I read it and I thought it was a fair decision, actually, so I’ll do my little thing tomorrow,” he said, downplaying the potential impact of the sentencing.
The majority ruling included Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Amy Coney Barrett, Elena Kagan, and Ketanji Brown Jackson.
The court’s four other conservative justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Brett Kavanaugh dissent but did not provide written opinions.
The decision allows sentencing to proceed in a Lower Manhattan courtroom, where Mr Trump was convicted of 34 felony counts.
The New York Times reports that at a Thursday evening press conference from his Mar-a-Lago estate, Mr Trump denounced the case and announced plans to appeal the conviction, despite not facing jail time or significant punishment.
“We’re going to appeal anyway, just psychologically, because frankly it’s a disgrace,” Mr Trump said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
APC governors, chieftains in Osun on election day acted like bullies, undermining democracy: Jonathan
Mr Jonathan censured the national ruling party for attempting to bully and intimidate Osun voters on Saturday, warning them against becoming a menace to society.

Economy
Nigerian airlines urged to engage unions constructively
Airlines have been urged to engage air transport unions constructively to ensure sector stability and avert losses for industry players and the broader economy.

Sport
Nigeria U-18 handball team begins camp ahead of cadets championship
The Nigeria Under-18 male handball team has commenced camping in Abuja ahead of the 22nd African Cadets Men’s Championship scheduled to be held in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.

Sport
FCT FA Division One Super 8: My Hope FC beat Hypebuzz FA
My Hope Football Club came from a goal down to defeat Hypebuzz Football Academy 3-1 in their Group A fixture of the 2026 FCT FA Division One League Super 8 on Monday in Abuja.

Politics
Eti-Osa council boss pledges improved staff welfare
Eti-Osa LG has reaffirmed its commitment to staff welfare and a conducive working environment to motivate employees to contribute meaningfully to the council’s development.

Politics
Nasarawa electoral commissioner dumps APC for SDP
Samuel Tsebe, a member of the Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission, has resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress with immediate effect.






