Jihadists massacre 37 farmers in Niger; govt declares national mourning

The Nigerien government has declared 48 hours of national mourning following the gruesome killing of 37 people by suspected insurgents on Monday.
“Flags will be flown at half-mast across the country with immediate effect,” a statement from the government said on Wednesday.
The government said its determination to “pursue the fight against terrorism until the final victory” has been bouyed by the murder and thus urged locals to become more vigilant.
On Monday, the gunmen on motorbikes besieged Darey-Daye village and attacked villagers working on their farms.
Four women and 13 children were among the 37 persons murdered.
According to the report by AFP, the massacre bore the hallmarks of rebel attacks that have battered western Niger since 2015, when an armed campaign spread from Mali.
In March, over 60 people were killed by gunmen at Tilkaberi region in Darey-Daye.
The village is located in the department of Banibangou, in the so-called “tri-border” area where the frontiers of Niger, Burkina Faso and Mali converge.
The area is notorious for terrorists attacks by groups linked to al-Qaeda and ISIL (ISIS).
A Human Rights Watch report last week said more than 420 civilians have been killed in rebel attacks in Tillaberi and Tahoua, while many have fled from their homes in 2021.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR
The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

World
Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka
The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Anti-Corruption
Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre
The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.






