6 out of PDPs 18 NWC members pass “no confidence” vote on Secondus

Members of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have passed a vote of no confidence on its national chairman, Uche Secondus, as plots to oust the embattled chairman thickens.
Sources in the party, including a member of the NWC, told Peoples Gazette the no-confidence vote was passed after the matter of his resignation was put to a vote at a meeting of NWC members in Transcorp Hilton on Sunday.
At the meeting which was attended by nine NWC members, six voted for Mr Secondus’ removal from office while the remaining three abstained from voting.
It is, however, not immediately clear why only nine of the 18-member NWC attended the meeting.
Those present at the Sunday meeting resolved to forward resolutions reached to the party’s governors’ forum, the Board of Trustees and the national assembly caucus for further actions.
Last week, the party was thrown into disarray following the resignation of seven national executives of the party who resigned over allegations of corruption against Mr Secondus.
Also, the National Youth Leader Udeh-Okoye threatened to leave the party if Mr Secondus was not removed.
The aggrieved members hinged their resignation on the inept leadership of Mr Secondus, asking him to immediately relinquish his position as the party’s national chairman.
Two party officials confirmed to The Gazette on Tuesday that National Secretary Umar Tsauri had already packed his belongings out of his office at Wadata Plaza, the party’s national headquarters, and was ready to resign in protest against Mr Secondus’ leadership.
However, former senate president David Mark while briefing newsmen on the outcome of the emergency BoT meeting held on Thursday in Abuja to arrest the development, described the meeting as cordial and fruitful.
Mr Mark said that the board resolved to set up a committee comprising governors, members of the BoT, National Assembly caucus of PDP, the NWC, former governors and former ministers to look into the matter.
Those present at the NWC meeting that was held on Sunday include Suleiman Nazif, deputy national chairman (North); Umar Ibrahim Tsauri, national secretary; Mai Adamu Mustapha, national auditor; Abdulahi Maibasira, national financial secretary.
Others were Udeh-Okoye, national youth leader; Taofiq Arapaja, national vice chairman (South-West); Ali Odefa, national vice-chairman (South-East); Dan Osi Orbih, national vice-chairman (South-South) and Theophilus Dakas Shan, national vice-chairman (North-Central).
Kola Ologbondiyan, national publicity secretary of the party, also a member of the NWC, failed to comment when reached by The Gazette on Monday.
Calls made to Mr Ologbondiyan’s phone were busied, and messages were not responded to.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






