Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Kabul Explosion: Biden vows to hunt down those responsible for attack

Mr Biden vowed that the U.S. will retaliate the killing of its military officers by a suicide bomber at the Kabul airport.

• August 27, 2021

U.S. President Joe Biden has pledged to hunt down those responsible for the terrorist attack on the Hamid Karzai International Airport, Kabul that killed at least a dozen American service members and injured 15 others.

Mr Biden who spoke from the White House on Thursday said the attack will not stop the frantic evacuation of U.S. citizens from the war-thorn Asian country.

He warned that the U.S. will respond to the attackers with force of precision in due time.

“To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive,” the New York Times quoted president to have said. “We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

“We will respond with force of precision at our time, place, we choose in a moment of our choosing,” he added.

The U.S. president further disclosed that he had mandated his commanders to find ways to target ISIS-K, the Afghan affiliate of the Islamic State that earlier claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Peoples Gazette on Thursday reported that two rapid explosions in Kabul left three American marines wounded.

Officials said, amidst claims that several others might have been killed or injured in the same attacks.

“We can confirm an explosion outside Kabul airport. Casualties are unclear at this time,” U.S. Defense spokesman John Kirby said in a statement on Twitter. “We will provide additional details when we can.”

A suicide bomber reportedly detonated explosives at the airport in Kabul where the U.S. military personnel were injured. Another explosion was heard at Baron Hotel in Kabul, Fox News reported citing officials.

It was unclear how many people were injured in total. No immediate fatalities were reported, but several media outlets said the intensity of the airport bombing might have killed some travellers.

The attack came barely hours after the British intelligence warned of a credible threat of attack at the airport, which has seen an unprecedented upsurge in travellers as foreigners and Afghans scamper to leave the country in the wake of Taliban takeover.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.