Kebbi court reinstates Secondus as PDP national chairman

A State High Court in Kebbi has ruled that the ousted National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Uche Secondus be reinstated as the party’s national chairman.
In his ruling on Thursday, Nusirat Umar, the presiding judge, directed that the suspension of Mr Secondus as the party’s chairman be halted until the determination of the suit brought before it by the applicants.
Delivering judgement on an ex parte brought in a suit marked KB/AC/M.170/2021, the presiding Judge asked Mr Secondus to continue exercising all the constitutional powers of the office of Chairman of PDP.
Ms Umar stayed the ruling of a Rivers State High Court, a court of coordinate jurisdiction, which removed Mr Secondus from office days ago.
“Staying the purported suspension of the first respondent pending the determination of the substantive motion on notice No.KB/HC/M.170/2021 now pending before this honourable court,” Mrs Umar said.
“An order of this honourable court granting leave to the first respondent (Uche Secondus) to continue exercising all the constitutional powers of the office of Chairman of PDP (second defendant ) as enshrined in both 1999 Constitution of Nigeria as amended and the Peoples Democratic Party’s constitution pending the hearing and final determination of applicant’s motion on notice,” it added.
On Monday, a state high court sitting in Rivers suspended Mr Secondus as the National Chairman of PDP.
The court case, instituted by Ibeawuchi Ernest Alex, Dennis Nina Amadi, Emmanuel Stephen and Umezirike Onucha as claimants/applicants against Mr Secondus and the PDP as first and second defendants, sought amongst other prayers an order of interim injunction against Mr Secondus from parading himself as the national chairman of the PDP.
In his ruling, Mr Gbasam issued a restraining order against the “1st Defendant from parading himself as a member of the 2nd Defendant or National Chairman of the Defendant or performing the functions of National Chairman of the 2nd Defendant.”
Mr Gbasam also approved the suspension of Secondus as a member of the PDP pending the hearing and determination of motion on notice for interlocutory injunction.
On Thursday, the National Working Committee of the party pronounced Yemi Akinwonmi, its Deputy National Chairman (South), as the acting chairman.
The unfolding legal brickbat could open another round of uncertainty for the opposition party barely pushing to regain power at the centre, having lost it six years ago.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.






