#LekkiMassacre: Don’t be afraid of ICC war crime charges, Buratai tells soldiers

Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai has rallied Nigerian soldiers not to be intimidated by threats of war crime charges at the International Criminal Court.
Mr. Buratai, at a meeting of military brass-hats on Monday, said Nigerian soldiers should be aware that their activities were carried out in line with the Nigerian Constitution.
Nigerian soldiers have “every right under the Constitution to carry out assigned and legitimate roles of maintaining law and order in aid of civil authorities and other security agencies,” Mr. Buratai said according to transcripts of the meeting circulated by Army spokesman Sagir Musa.
Mr. Buratai’s comments came a week after Nigerian soldiers opened fire at unarmed protesters in Lagos, killing at least nine. The attack has been widely condemned around the world, with top voices like Bill Clinton and Donald Trump demanding immediate investigations.
President Muhammadu Buhari has yet to hold anyone accountable for the massacre, fuelling speculation that he ordered it as the commander in chief. In 2015, the Nigerian president justified the massacre of over 1,000 Shiites in Zaria, saying they were wrong to have tapped military generals in the chest at a checkpoint.
The Nigerian Army has been under pressure to come clean on its decision and release bodies that are suspected to be in its custody for proper burial.
Some Nigerians at home and abroad also filed complaints to the Netherlands-based ICC, receiving an acknowledgement from its top prosecutor Fatou Bensouda last week.
Mr. Buratai was also the military chief at the heart of the Shiite massacre of December 2015, which analysts said had set him up for potential trial at the Hague when added to civilians killed as they sang the national anthem in Lagos on October 20.
The military action in Lagos sparked thug violence across the commercial capital, which saw valuable assets looted or set on fire. At least 27 police stations were also burnt during the rage.
But Mr. Buratai, who repeatedly lobbied Mr. Buhari to quell protests against police brutality with the military, remained defiant on Monday and urged his subordinates not to be afraid of defending the country at all cost.
Mr. Buratai said anyone who doubts their commitment to their constitutional responsibilities must be made to know that they remain committed, loyal and unwavering in ensuring the unity, stability and security of our dear country Nigeria, Mr. Sagir reported.
The Army chief urged soldiers to dismiss critics of their activities as agents of destabilisation who care little about the country’s overall interest.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countriesÂ
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in ZamfaraÂ
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â






