Monkeypox: WHO advises gay men against multiple sex partners

In its first concrete recommendation since the outbreak of the monkeypox disease, the World Health Organisation has warned that men who have sex with multiple men have higher risk of being infected.
WHO figures on Wednesday showed that some 98 per cent of the reported cases involved men who have sexual contact with multiple other men.
The WHO asked this group to, for the moment, reduce the number of sexual partners, reconsider sex with new partners, and exchange contact details with any new partners to enable follow-up if needed.
However, the organisation stressed that anyone can be infected.
“In addition to transmission through sexual contact, monkeypox can also be spread in households through close contact between people, such as hugging and kissing, and on contaminated towels or bedding,’’ WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
He added that the outbreak could be stopped, “if countries, communities and individuals inform themselves, take the risks seriously, and take the steps needed to stop transmission and protect vulnerable groups,’’ Mr Ghebreyesus said.
Mr Ghebreyesus said that regarding vaccination against monkeypox, there are still open questions about the effectiveness or who exactly should be vaccinated.
The WHO does not recommend mass vaccination, but “targeted vaccination for those exposed to someone with monkey pox, and for those at high risk of exposure, including health workers, some lab workers, and those with multiple sexual partners.’’
More than 18,000 cases from 78 countries have been reported to the WHO, with more than 70 per cent of infections recorded in European countries, many of which had previously known virtually no monkeypox cases.
On July 23, the WHO declared the monkeypox outbreak an “emergency of international concern.”
(dpa/NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countriesÂ
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in ZamfaraÂ
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â






