Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Nigeria excluded from U.S.’ $91 million COVID-19 response fund to Africa

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that Nigeria lost $40.6 billion alone to insecurity in 2020.

• June 18, 2021
Biden, Buhari
President Biden and President Buhari [Photo credit: Authentic News Giant]

Nigeria has missed out of the United States $91 million COVID-19 response fund to African countries, as the country continues to battle poverty and insecurity.

Jeremy Konyndyk, the executive director of the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) COVID-19 task force in a statement made available to Peoples Gazette on Friday, while announcing the Western country’s intervention fund to Africa did not list Nigeria amongst the beneficiaries of the $91 million relief fund.

Mr Konyndyk said the relief fund was  given to countries across the continent to address urgent humanitarian needs caused by the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.

He further detailed that the $91 million will provide needed food assistance, health care, water, and psychosocial support for people across Africa.

“Today, the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) COVID-19 Task Force Executive Director Jeremy Konyndyk announced more than $91 million to provide urgently needed food assistance, health care, water, and psychosocial support for people across Africa, in order to address urgent humanitarian needs caused by the devastating COVID-19 pandemic,” statement by USAID read.

Countries to benefit from the U.S COVID-19 relief fund include Burkina Faso, Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, DR Congo, and Mozambique. Others are Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Zimbabwe.

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that Nigeria lost $40.6 billion alone to insecurity in 2020 as unknown gunmen, killer herdsmen, bandits, Boko Haram, and ISWAP terrorists combined to unleash what many considered unprecedented violence on Africa’s most populous nation last year.

Also, the World Bank Nigeria Development Update said seven million Nigerians plunged below poverty line in 2020. 

The World Bank in a statement on its website on Tuesday, said about seven million Nigerians dropped below poverty line due to increase in inflation in the country in 2020. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Armed policemen in Benue State.

Heading 5

Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate

Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

APC Flag

Lagos

APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure

Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.

Libya map used to illustrate the story.

Africa

Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors

The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)

Lagos

NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects

Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.

Solomon Lar

States

Lar leadership institute inaugurates planning committee

A committee has been inaugurated to oversee preparations for the formal launch of the Solomon and Mary Lar Institute for Leadership scheduled for October 27 in Abuja.