Oscars to stream exclusively on YouTube in 2029

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), organisers of the Oscars, have announced that the annual awards will be available to watch exclusively on YouTube from 2029.
The academy’s chief executive officer, Bill Kramer, and its president, Lynette Taylor, disclosed this in a statement.
“We are thrilled to enter into a multifaceted global partnership with YouTube to be the future home of the Oscars and our year-round Academy programming,” the statement revealed.
According to the AMPAS, the prestigious motion picture awards ceremony will be viewable only on streaming for the first time, ending a decades-long relationship with U.S. broadcaster ABC.
The annual Academy Awards, which celebrate the year’s top achievements in film and draw the world’s biggest A-list stars to a Hollywood theatre, are regularly watched by around 20 million Americans and millions more globally.
ABC’s latest contract to broadcast the show had been due to end in 2028, with the 100th Academy Awards.
The Disney-owned channel will continue to air the Oscars up until then.
The AMPAS’ new deal with Google-owned YouTube represents a radical new direction for the show and an industry that has long been wary about the impact of streamers on cinema.
The exclusive YouTube streaming will allow more people to watch the show live starting in 2029.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

States
NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria
The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

States
Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke
Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.

States
NDC national leader Seriake Dickson appoints media, political, technical advisers
NDC leader Seriake Dickson has appointed Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu as political adviser, chief technical adviser and spokesman, respectively.






