Tuesday, August 18, 2026

UK health minister test positive for coronavirus despite taking vaccine

This development continues to raise concerns on the effectiveness of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which is currently being administered to Nigerians.

• July 17, 2021
Sajid Javid
Sajid Javid

The United Kingdom health minister Sajid Javid has tested positive for coronavirus despite taking complete doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, BBC reports.

Mr Javid’s positive test comes as the UK on Friday recorded over 50,000 daily cases of the virus for the first time since mid-January.

Announcing the development in a video posted on his official Twitter page, Mr Javid disclosed that he is now self-isolating.

The health minister said he decided to take the COVID-19 test on Saturday morning after having a “groggy feeling” on Friday night; the result came back positive

“I was feeling a bit groggy last night, so I took a lateral flow test this morning and it’s come out positive, so I’m now self-isolating at home with my family until I get the results of a PCR test.

“I’m grateful that I’ve had two jabs of the vaccine and so far my symptoms are very mild,” Mr Javid in the video said.

Urging UK citizens to get vaccinated, the health minister also advised those with groggy feelings to take the lateral flow test.

“If everyone plays their part, you’re not only protecting yourself and your loved ones but you’re also safeguarding the NHS and helping to preserve our way of life,” he added.

Mr Javid was in June, appointed the country’s health minister after his predecessor Matt Hancock breached social-distancing rules.

The rapid lateral flow tests are conducted on individuals without symptoms of COVID-19. The tests function like pregnancy tests detecting cases in just 30 minutes.

This development continues to raise concerns on the effectiveness of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which is currently being administered to Nigerians as Buhari regime seek to immunise the country against the deadly virus that has continued to ravage the world.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Mr Hancock had in the heat of the first wave tested positive for COVID-19.

Mr Johnson was hospitalised at the intensive care unit of St Thomas’ Hospital after falling seriously ill. Both men later recovered from the virus.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

FCT FA

Sport

FCT FA Division One Super 8: My Hope FC beat Hypebuzz FA

My Hope Football Club came from a goal down to defeat Hypebuzz Football Academy 3-1 in their Group A fixture of the 2026 FCT FA Division One League Super 8 on Monday in Abuja.

Adeola Adetoro

Politics

Eti-Osa council boss pledges improved staff welfare

Eti-Osa LG has reaffirmed its commitment to staff welfare and a conducive working environment to motivate employees to contribute meaningfully to the council’s development.

Samuel Tsebe

Politics

Nasarawa electoral commissioner dumps APC for SDP

Samuel Tsebe, a member of the Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission, has resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress with immediate effect.

Nacabs Polytechnic

Education

Nacabs poly boss vows to expel students caught in exam malpractice

The proprietor of Nacabs Polytechnic, Akwanga, Nasarawa, David Abuluya, has vowed to expel any students caught in examination malpractice.

Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia

World

Trump govt moves to reinstate human trafficking case against Abrego Garcia

Mr Trump’s administration wants the court to reinstate the human trafficking indictment against Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran immigrant at the centre of a wrongful deportation case.

Idi Mukhtar Maiha

Agriculture

FG restates commitment to food security, job creation

The federal government has reaffirmed its commitment to tackling food shortages and high unemployment through agriculture and livestock development.