Tuesday, August 18, 2026

UK moves to block breakaway Super League

We will do whatever it takes to protect our national game. Be in no doubt, if they can’t act, we will,” British sports minister told parliament.

• April 19, 2021
Oliver Dowden
Oliver Dowden, sports minister of the United Kingdom

Oliver Dowden, sports minister of the United Kingdom, says Britain will do everything possible to put a stop to the newly formed European Super League.

The controversial super league which already has the nod of 12 football clubs with English teams summing up a majority has been criticised by football governing bodies at different levels.

The 12 teams are planning on having more fixtures in the new Super League so as to maximize profits from tickets, TV rights and other sponsorship deals.

However, Reuters reports that the sports minister while addressing the parliament on Monday revealed that Britain is considering options to penalise the top six English teams that have signed up for the league.

He disclosed that he already met with the Premier League, the Football Association (FA) and the president of UEFA, over the recently announced breakaway, adding that the government would take necessary steps to block the breakaway if football governing bodies failed to do so.

“We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place. Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the government does to support these clubs to play,” he said.

“We will do whatever it takes to protect our national game. Be in no doubt, if they can’t act, we will,” he told parliament. “We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening.”

Already, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Prince William, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson who doubles as the president of the English Football Association on Sunday kicked against the proposed breakaway.

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin reached out to FIFA for support to curb the new league concept with moves to ban the participating clubs and their players from FIFA related competitions.

FIFA had in January said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation.”

European Club Association (ECA)  also registered its opposition to the Super League proposal. The association released a statement Sunday evening to say it “strongly opposed” the “closed Super League model.” The body emphasised that it would rather work with UEFA to amend the structure of European club football from 2024 onwards.

The teams that have signed up for the super league include AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Atlético de Madrid, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Internazionale Milano, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid CF and Tottenham Hotspur.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab

Lagos

Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance

The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.