Tuesday, August 18, 2026

WAEC withholds results of Ondo students due to government’s indebtedness

The commissioner attributed the situation to logistical challenges.

• August 14, 2024

The West African Examination Council (WAEC) has withheld the results of students in public secondary schools in Ondo State due to unpaid debts, Peoples Gazette can report.

These students were among the candidates who participated in the 2024 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) across the state’s 18 local government areas.

The situation came to light on Tuesday after students who were waiting to apply to tertiary institutions found themselves unable to access their academic results on the WAEC website.

A student in the state, who preferred to remain anonymous, told The Gazette that she was shocked to discover her results were being withheld by WAEC due to the state’s indebtedness.

She recounted how she repeatedly logged into the website only to receive the same ‘indebted’ message from the examination body.

“I am one of the candidates who sat for the WASSCE in the state. Some of my mates started noticing this yesterday (Monday), but when I logged in today, I was surprised to see that my result was also withheld due to indebtedness. It’s just annoying, but the school told us they will address it,” she said in a chat, adding that she had registered for nine different subjects in the recently held exam.

The Gazette’s findings revealed that the development has left many parents in the state distressed as they await clarity on the fate of their children, who are preparing for the next stage of their academic journey.

A teacher in one of the affected accredited schools explained that the state government had been notified of the situation and assured that it would be addressed soon.

“It is normal practice in the state for the government to pay the fees, but we don’t know why the current administration has not fulfilled this obligation. We have notified the authorities, and we will take it up from there,” he told one of our reporters.

Responding to inquiries about the issue, the commissioner for education, science, and technology, Olaolu Akindolire, attributed the situation to logistical challenges.

In a statement issued through the ministry’s spokesperson, Olaoluwa Meshack, Mr Akindolire said that the issues with accessing the results would soon be resolved.

He noted that the state government had already addressed the issue with WAEC, adding that a total of five hundred and fifty million Naira had been paid for 26,088 students who sat for the 2024 WASSCE in the state’s public schools.

According to him, “The Governor has also approved the payment of the remaining One Hundred and Fifty-Eight Million, Seven Hundred and Sixteen Thousand Naira for the 2024 WASSCE registration fees for students in public secondary schools.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States

Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions

Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.

Nigerian Correctional Service

NationWide

NCoS urges inmates to deepen religious values, build character

Mr David urged inmates in custodial centres to let religion take deeper root in their character to achieve desired reformation.