Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Women protest half-naked in Ondo over killings, kidnappings of farmers by bandits

She appealed to the security agencies for assistance in finding lasting solutions to their problems.

• August 13, 2024

Disturbed by the growing insecurity in the Akoko area of Ondo state, a group of concerned women staged a peaceful protest, with some of them partially naked, to condemn the ongoing violent killings and kidnappings by suspected herdsmen.

Mostly elderly, the women marched through the streets to express their distress over the frequent killings, kidnappings, and destruction of their farmlands by armed bandits.

The protest took place shortly after a farmer, Sunday Ayeni, was brutally murdered on his land following a disagreement with herdsmen who had invaded and destroyed his crops.

Mr Ayeni’s lifeless body, along with his hunting dog, was discovered by a search party in the community over the weekend.

As a result of this development, farmers have been forced to abandon their farmlands due to fear of potential attacks by the intruders.

During a security meeting held at the palace of the notable traditional ruler of Oka, the Olubaka of Oka, Adebori Adeleye, many of the women, some without head coverings, voiced their demands for justice for the victims of the incessant attacks.

A spokesperson for the women, Abigail Ojo, claimed that some of the suspected herdsmen had raped them on their farms and destroyed their crops in the process.

Mrs Ojo, while sharing their experiences, stated that they had abandoned their farms and were determined not to return until there was adequate security and protection.

“We cannot tolerate these senseless killings any longer. All of this has to stop,” she said in the local language.

She appealed to the security agencies for assistance in finding lasting solutions to their problems.

In response, the traditional ruler, Mr. Adeleye, stated that the security situation in the community was being addressed by the relevant security agencies in the state.

However, he requested some time to allow the security agencies to find lasting solutions to the troubling situation in the community.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States

Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions

Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.