Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Xenophobic Attacks: Ghana to evacuate additional 1,000 citizens from South Africa

The Ghanaian government said the latest phase of evacuations is expected to cover about 1,000 citizens and will be done in groups.

• July 25, 2026
Ghana citizens evacuated from South Africa
Ghana citizens evacuated from South Africa

Ghanaian authorities have announced plans to evacuate about 1,000 of its citizens from South Africa starting Sunday, following ongoing xenophobic attacks against immigrants in the country.

In a statement on Saturday, Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it would resume the evacuation of its remaining nationals on Sunday.

“The latest phase of evacuations is expected to cover about 1,000 Ghanaians and will be done in groups,” the ministry said.

The ministry said the first flights are scheduled to arrive in Accra on Sunday, July 26, and Monday, July 27, 2026.

It added that the evacuation exercise would begin with Ghanaians who had already registered with the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria to voluntarily return home with government assistance.

“Consistent with our policy, priority will be given to women, children, the elderly, persons with medical conditions, and students. Distressed Ghanaians in South Africa are requested to contact the High Commission,” the ministry said.

The government also expressed heartfelt appreciation to the Ghanaian leadership of the Church of Pentecost in Pretoria and Johannesburg and Global Kingdom Investment Pty. Limited for allowing their premises to be used as shelters, free of charge, for several weeks for Ghanaians who fled their homes while awaiting processing by the High Commission.

This followed President John Mahama’s approval of the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaians and the country’s petition to the African Union over continued xenophobic attacks against African nationals in South Africa.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab

Lagos

Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance

The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.

recover two motorcycles

States

Police arrest five suspects in Benue, recover two motorcycles

The Benue State police command arrested five suspects who specialised in stealing motorcycles and motor vehicles.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University’s Junior High School

World

One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting

The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

ICE officials

World

Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling

A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.