Friday, August 21, 2026

Yahaya Bello asks Abuja court to set aside EFCC’s arrest warrant against him

The court on Wednesday ordered that the EFCC should be issued a warrant for Mr Bello’s arrest.

• April 18, 2024
EFCC
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)

The Immediate past governor of Kogi State,Yahaya Bello, on Thursday, prayed a Federal High Court, Abuja to set aside an arrest warrant issued against him.

Mr Bello, through his lawyer, Abdulwahab Mohammed, SAN, told Justice Emeka Nwite that the court lacked jurisdiction to grant the order in the first instance.

Mr Mohammed told Justice Nwite when the matter was called for the ex-governor to be arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on 19-count bordering on money laundering.

Justice Nwite on Wednesday ordered that EFCC should be issued a warrant for the arrest of Mr Bello.

The judge, who granted the order, directed that Mr Bello should be brought to court today to take his plea in the charge preferred against him.

Mr Mohammed informed the court that a preliminary objection had already been filed before the court to the effect.

The lawyer, who urged the court to vacate the arrest warrant order, said a High Court of Kogi had on February 9 restrained the anti-graft agency from arresting, detaining or prosecuting Mr Bello.

He said the order was challenged by the EFCC at the Court of Appeal and the matter was already fixed for hearing.

Mr Mohammed said that the arrest warrant the commission surreptitiously got from the court was an attempt to bring the court on collision course with the Appeal Court.

He said the issue of jurisdiction was a threshold which the court must first address.

However, EFCC’s lawyer, Kehibde Pinhero, SAN, disagreed with Mr Mohammed’s submission.

He said the matter was fixed for Mr Bello’s arraignment and Mr Mohammed, having announced appearance for the ex-governor, could be served in the open court for the matter to proceed.

He said the arrest warrant was to ensure that Mr Bello was produced in court to stand his trial since efforts to effect the service on him had proved abortive.

The hearing is still ongoing as of the time this report was filed. (NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nigerian passports

States

Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail

A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.

Tinubu in APC dress

Politics

Nigerians will re-elect Tinubu in 2027 based on his records: APC Chieftain

Ishaku Yamawo, APC chairman in the Federal Capital Territory, says Nigerians will re-elect President Bola Tinubu in 2027 based on his administration’s recorded achievements.

Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Adeleke thanks supporters, pays tributes to Osun election violence victims

Governor Ademola Adeleke has thanked the Accord Party and supporters for his re-election in Saturday’s governorship poll in Osun.

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Economy

Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says

“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

L-R: Jordan Nyesom-Wike, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, David Adeleke, and Joaquin Nyesom-Wike.

Politics

‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory

In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

Heap of naira cash

NationWide

The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses

His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.