Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Bayelsa: Gunmen kill five, injure three in police convoy

The gunmen opened fire on the vehicle conveying the officers and civilians, resulting in the death of five while three are seriously injured.

• May 15, 2022
Gunmen
Gunmen used to illustrate the story

Gunmen have killed two policemen and three civilians in Bayelsa.

Police authorities in the state confirmed the attack on police convoy at Idema- Otuabagi road in Ogbia Local Government Area of the state.

The state’s police spokesperson, Asinim Butswat, said the attack occurred on Saturday around 7:45 a.m. when some officers were returning from a burial ceremony of a colleague.

He said the gunmen opened fire on the vehicle conveying the officers and civilians, resulting in the death of five while three are seriously injured.

He listed the names of the victims shot dead during the incident; Asuo Osuani, Odeoye Sampson, Terry Lucky, Jennifer Adejo and Asueroh Tobins.

The Bayelsa police said the three victims that sustained bullet injuries during the attack are currently receiving medical treatment at the hospital.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.