Death toll from Lagos Island building collapse now two: LASEMA

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency has confirmed two dead from the three-storey building that collapsed in Alayaki Street, Lagos Island on Saturday.
LASEMA noted that the two bodies were recovered dead while two persons were also rescued alive from the collapsed building.
It was earlier reported that the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) rescued one person, and recovered the dead body of another from the rubbles of the building.
In a new development, Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the building was already in violation of building safety protocols.
“It was discovered that the building had been captured by the LASBCA District Office and served with all Statutory Notices, Sealed at District and Central Enforcement Level,” he said.
“Further investigation determined that the developer had continued clandestine operations mostly at night and at the weekends.
“An unconfirmed number of people are still trapped inside the building. Two people have been rescued alive while two were recovered dead,” Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian airlines urged to engage unions constructively
Airlines have been urged to engage air transport unions constructively to ensure sector stability and avert losses for industry players and the broader economy.

Sport
Nigeria U-18 handball team begins camp ahead of cadets championship
The Nigeria Under-18 male handball team has commenced camping in Abuja ahead of the 22nd African Cadets Men’s Championship scheduled to be held in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.

Sport
FCT FA Division One Super 8: My Hope FC beat Hypebuzz FA
My Hope Football Club came from a goal down to defeat Hypebuzz Football Academy 3-1 in their Group A fixture of the 2026 FCT FA Division One League Super 8 on Monday in Abuja.

Politics
Eti-Osa council boss pledges improved staff welfare
Eti-Osa LG has reaffirmed its commitment to staff welfare and a conducive working environment to motivate employees to contribute meaningfully to the council’s development.

Politics
Nasarawa electoral commissioner dumps APC for SDP
Samuel Tsebe, a member of the Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission, has resigned his membership of the All Progressives Congress with immediate effect.

Education
Nacabs poly boss vows to expel students caught in exam malpractice
The proprietor of Nacabs Polytechnic, Akwanga, Nasarawa, David Abuluya, has vowed to expel any students caught in examination malpractice.






