Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Labour Party’s Yusuf Lasun denies withdrawing from Osun guber race

On Saturday, reports on social media claimed that Mr Lasun had withdrawn from the governorship race and supported Ademola Adeleke of PDP.

• July 16, 2022
Yusuf Lasun
Yusuf Lasun

Governorship candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Yusuf Lasun, has denied reports that he dumped his political ambition to support Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democracy Party (PDP) in the ongoing Osun State gubernatorial election. 

On Saturday, reports on social media claimed that Mr Lasun had withdrawn from the governorship race and supported Ademola Adeleke of PDP. 

Mr Lasun arrived at his polling unit in Ward 5, Irepodun, Osun state, around 10:10 a.m. to cast his vote.

While reacting to the report, he said the reports are untrue and described the news carriers as “mad people.”

“They are sick, they are sick, once again they are sick, they are mad people,” Mr Lasun said.

Similarly, Adebayo Bello, the chairman of the LP, said the party’s governorship candidate did not merge with the PDP candidate.

“Hon. Yusuf did not collapse any of his structures into the PDP. Those that are spreading the news are only hallucinating,” he said.

Mr Lasun, a former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, is seeking election in the ongoing Osun state gubernatorial election alongside 15 other candidates.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.