Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Negotiation concluded, waiting for Buhari regime’s call to sign: ASUU

ASUU has been on strike since February 14, over the federal government’s failure to honour a 2009 MoU with the union.

• July 5, 2022
Emmanuel Osodeke
ASUU president Emmanuel Osodeke

National president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Emmanuel Osodeke, has called on the President Muhammadu Buhari to sign the University Transparency Accountability Solution (UTAS) payment platform for lecturers.

During a Monday programme on Channels TV, the ASUU national president said the union is ready to end the strike if the federal government signs the agreement.

“As far as ASUU is concerned, the strike can end tomorrow, we have finished the negotiations, let the government call us this night that we should come tomorrow and sign the agreement, we will be there.

“Let the government tell us they have finished testing the UTAS, we have accepted it. By tomorrow, we will call off the strike. We are finished (with negotiations),” Mr Osodeke said.

He said that the union has concluded their discussion with the federal government that the UTAS payment method should replace the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS).

Instead of meeting their demands, Mr Osodeke said the federal government had instead failed to pay the striking lecturers their salaries for the past five months.

“We are just waiting, and challenging the government. When will they sign the agreement, and when will they accept UTAS? Those are the two questions we need to ask the Nigerian government,” the ASUU president added.

ASUU has been on strike since February 14, over the federal government’s failure to honour the 2009 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the union.

It has been over 140 days since the union went on strike, demanding that the federal government sign the UTAS payment platform for their salaries and address other issues affecting public universities.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.