Oluwabamise: Woman tells court how BRT driver raped her inside bus

An alleged rape victim, Maryjane Nneka Odezelu, told a Lagos High Court how she was raped and threatened last year by a BRT driver, Nice Andrew Ominikoron.
Mr Omininikoro is standing trial on five-count charge bordering on felony, murder, sexual assault and rape of another victim, 22-year-old Oluwabamise Ayanwola.
During the trial on Monday, the witness, Ms Odezelu narrated her ordeal, stating that the incident happened on the night of November 25, 2021, on her way back from work.
She said she boarded the BRT bus driven by Mr Ominikoron at Alesh bus-stop in Ajah area of Lagos. “I asked if he was going to Jakande bus-stop and how much. He said N100.
“I entered the BRT bus, and within three seconds, a guy approached him and asked If he was going to Oshodi? The driver responded yes.”
She said the driver and the person could not reach an agreement on the price so he left.
As the journey proceeded, she said the BRT driver stopped to take some medicine. “He was taking the medicine with a bottle of water. I thought he was on medication.
“After that he asked me to come to the front seat and asked why I was sitting in the back seat. I stood up and sat in the first seat, then he started asking me questions,” she said.
Ms Odezelu said she became suspicious of his moves after she noticed that his manhood had risen up while he was talking to her. She said when she brought out her phone to call for help and record his move, he seized her phone from her.
The witness said the driver brought out a knife and threatened to kill her. “He said he will kill me and nobody will know I was here.” He turned off the lights inside the bus, then proceeded to drag her to the back, slapped her, tore her clothes and raped her inside the bus.
“He dragged me to the back seat and asked me to pull my clothes. When I refused, he started to slap me and held my neck; then he tore my cloth and raped me.”
Ms Odezelu said after the driver sexually molested her; he pleaded with her and took her to her bus-stop at Jakande. On dropping her at the bus-stop, she said he requested her account number to send her money to buy painkillers.
“I told him I do not need his money that I want to go. He said I am stubborn and I did not want to go home. He sent me N3,000 to buy painkillers,” she said.
She said he called her phone when she got home that night and asked her how she was fairing, adding that she refused to pick subsequent calls from him.
The state legal counsel, Moyosore Onigbajo, asked the witness to present the torn cloth as evidence before the court. But, Mr Omininikoro’s legal representative, Kayode Omotubora, argued that the evidence cannot be admitted to the court.
However, Justice Sherifat Sonaike admitted the evidence and adjourned the case till May 10.
Meanwhile, the state has refused to grant the Ayanwola’s family a fiat to prosecute the driver while the murder trial is still ongoing in court.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






