Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Organised labour rejects FG’s wage proposal for third time, reduces demand to N497,000

NLC resident, Joe Ajaero, on Tuesday, described the initial 54,000 new minimum wage proposal from the government as “unsubstantial”.

• May 22, 2024
NLC TUC
Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC)

Nigeria Labour Congress (NlC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have, for the third time, rejected the government wage proposal of N57,000 but shifted their demand from N615,000 to N497,000.

The negotiation, which resumed on Wednesday, comes just few days after the NLC and TUC pulled out of the previous negotiations, standing on the grounds that the government and private sector are not willing to agree on a new minimum wage.

Channels Television reports that a prominent member of the Tripartite Committee for the negotiation of a new minimum wage for Nigerian workers disclosed an update on the negotiations to the media house.

The source said that the federal government and the organised private sector side of the negotiation proposed a N57,000 monthly minimum wage as against the N54,000 proposed on Tuesday when the committee resumed negotiations.

NLC resident, Joe Ajaero, on Tuesday, described the initial 54,000 new minimum wage proposal from the government as “unsubstantial”.

The government had initially proposed ₦48,000 last week, which was also rejected by organised labour.

However, during the Wednesday meeting, the NLC and the TUC reduced their demand from N615,000 to N497,000 after seeing the reasons for the decision.

Since the beginning of the negotiation for a new minimum wage for Nigerian workers, the organised labour is yet to be satisfied with the government proposals and has rejected all the government wage proposal.

NLC and TUC had given the federal government until May 31 to come up with a promising proposal and conclude the negotiations or face nationwide protest.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.